It’s flu season. The average healthy individual will usually contract a form of the flu that is here and gone within two weeks. This year, the flu has been wreaking havoc on all age groups, unlike in past years when it predominantly affected children under five years of age and those 65 and older. And if you already have a compromised immune system due to diabetes, heart disease or asthma, then you stand the chance of developing flu-related complications.
At Luxe Home Care we want to help keep you and your family safe this flu season. How can you stay healthier and boost your immune system? Here are a few tips:
- Ask your doctor if you should get a flu vaccine and which vaccine is best for you. Then follow his or her advice.
- Eat a balanced diet with the recommended calorie count.
- Drink water like a guppie! It helps clear your system.
- Disinfect your personal items, i.e., cell phones, handles on your refrigerator, dishwasher, or oven door and the like.
- Be sure to wash your hands often and thoroughly. That means with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Eat fruits with vitamin C or purchase Vitamin C tablets.
- Avoid crowds. This means no unnecessary travel, staying away from shopping malls, movie theatres and crowded restaurants.
- Exercise, it boosts the immune system.
- Ask your doctor if you are up to date on your pneumococcal vaccines, which helps ward off pneumococcal pneumonia, meningitis and certain bloodstream infections.
- Avoid people who are sick, even if they say they aren’t contagious.
If you’re worried that you can’t afford the vaccine, be aware that as long as you receive your shot from a Medicare provider, you are covered by Medicare Part B and will not pay a deductible or coinsurance, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
To find the most up-to-date flu information visit, https://www.cdc.gov/flu/
Symptoms of the Flu
At first, you may feel as if you have a bad cold, a stomach virus or food poisoning. Even if you don’t think you have the flu, have it diagnosed immediately. The Center for Disease Control recommends that you receive a diagnosis as early as possible. The vaccine works best when administered within the first two days after onset if you didn’t get it earlier. Symptoms may include:
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Body aches
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
You may only have one of the symptoms mentioned above. You know your body better than anyone else. If you don’t feel well, find out why.
For your safety and ours, all of caregivers and home health care workers at Luxe Homecare are up to date on their vaccinations. If you are being cared for by a relative and are not using an accredited agency, please be sure they receive the flu shot too. Your caregiver’s health is just as important as your own.
Luxe Homecare wishes you good health during this flu season. We are here if you need home care, (310) 459-3535 or home health care services, (310) 454-5500. You can also reach us at email@example.com or visit us at https://luxehomecare.com.