Recently, I spoke with Phyllis who wanted to know the pros and cons of in-home care. She was getting on in years and wanted to start making plans for when she became unable to care for herself. She had looked at some facilities and could not fathom moving all her memories into a tiny room at a senior care facility. She loved her home and wanted to stay put. She told me she had spoken with her Financial Advisor and much to her delight; he assured her she would have the money to stay at home with caregivers. Still, she wanted to make sure she was making the right choice.
I’ve always advocated for people to interview more than one agency to get a better perspective of what is being offered and compare it with their needs. I was more than happy to help Phyllis gain a better understanding of in-home care and what it can and cannot accomplish.
Starting with the benefits, I explained that in-home care results in:
- Lower risk of infection. By staying at home and only being exposed to a limited number of people you lessen the chance of a serious infection.
- Less stress. You are staying in a place that you are familiar with, feel comfortable in and have cherished memories of.
- Easier access for visitors. Your family members or friends can come to visit with you at a time that fits your schedule and theirs, compared to standard facilities where there are visiting hours.
- There is no need to pack up your belongings or downsize. You stay where you are and our caregivers come to you.
- You remain in the comfort and familiarity of your home. You don’t have to acclimate to new surroundings or share a room with a stranger.
- You can continue enjoying your pets without worrying that they might be bothering others.
- A customized care program. When you stay at home and hire Luxe Home Care, we custom design a care program that meets your needs, because you are our only patient.
- Cost savings. Depending on the amount of care needed, keeping your senior relative at home may be more cost-effective than finding a senior care facility for them.
Phyllis also asked us about the downside to in-home care. We were hard-pressed to find any because we believe that keeping seniors at home for as long as possible is a good thing for the senior and their family. In more traditional cultures, family members live together and take care of each other throughout their lifetime. At Luxe Homecare we provide your loved one with an option, a throwback to our more traditional roots.
Find out how Luxe Homecare can help you like we helped Phyllis. You can reach us at (310) 454-5500, info@LuxeHC.com or www.LuxeHomecare.com.